Thursday 3 July 2014

Liverpool John Moore University Open Day

It's got to that time of my life where I need to start thinking what to do for the rest of my life, whether I want to go to uni or not, and if so what course and which uni.

I already know that I want to be a Primary School teacher and therefore I need to do a Primary Education degree so now the only question is - out of all the hundreds of uni which do the course, which is right for me?

To help make my decision easier I visited Liverpool John Moores University (LJMU) which is right in the centre of one of the nicest cities ever. The city had such a vibrant feel to it, you were right in the middle of everything and the students helping there were so nice and helpful, always free to give advice. LJMU will definitely be in my top 5 that I apply for in October!

These are my 5 top tips when choosing the uni:

  1. Go to the open days - the university may look good online or in the prospectus but you can't get a feel for the uni without actually going to visit, ask yourself "can I see myself living and studying here for the next 3 years?"
  2. When making your 5 top choices on UCAS, go for one ambitious choice (if you want), 3 reasonable choices, and one safe option. For example, if you're expected to get 3 B's at the end of the year, then maybe apply for one asking AAB, 3 asking for BBB and one safe one asking for BCC. Then fingers crossed whatever your grades there is still somewhere for you. 
  3. Look at how many of the students are in further study or in employment in that area, this gives you an idea of how well the students are doing and therefore how good the course is. For example, if only 63% are in education or employment after finishing the course at one uni, and another is 95%, it is much more probable that the latter university is better. 
  4. The location is really important. Do you want to be near home? Or would you prefer to be miles away at the other end of the country?! Also, do you want to be right in the middle of a big city - Kings College Uni London, Manchester Metropolitan, Liverpool University, Aston Uni Birmingham. Or would you prefer somewhere much quieter such as Durham, Warwik, St Andrews? This varies person to person so don't just go somewhere just because someone else has recommended it. What they love you may hate. 
  5. And finally, don't worry!! If when you get to uni you know it's not right then transferring is usually no problem and won't affect you that much at all. 
Have any questions or want advice then just comment below :) 
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comment welcome :)